Outdoor & Waterproof Car Covers: Making The Best Car Cover Choice
Location, location, location... outdoor car covers are designed for location. If you live in Arizona and choose a waterproof car cover, you may be missing out on essential UV protection. Conversely, selecting a car cover that's not breathable when you live in the Pacific Northwest will cause moisture to become trapped between the cover and your car.
The purpose of this guide is to familiarize you with the popular outdoor car cover materials so you can make the best purchase decision for your location.
WeatherShield is a light-weight car cover fabric that uses a patented encapsulation process that was originally invented for high-performance sportswear. The special encapsulation process surrounds durable polyester fabric with breathable barrier that resists water and sunlight. This fabric is a proven performer that delivers impressive all-weather protection without being bulky, so it’s easy to use and store.
- Uses up to 40 computerized steps to place protective polymers inside the fabric to shed water, dust, bird droppings, tree sap and industrial pollutants.
- The naturally UV-resistant material is further enhanced with UV inhibitors that slow-down naturally-occurring degradation from sun exposure.
- The fabric immediately sheds water as soon as it hits the car cover, keeping your vehicle dry. It has an absorption factor of only 2%, compared with up to 40% for standard woven and non-woven fabrics. When it gets wet, simply give it a shake and it’s dry.
- The fabric is breathable and allows any heat or condensation that builds up under the cover to easily escape.
- The WeatherShield fabric's weave and patented encapsulation process prevents dust from filtering through the fabric.
- The silky smooth inside finish provides superior paint protection.
- The fabric is super durable and not affected by heat or cold.
- WeatherShield car covers can be washed and dried at home.
- A WeatherShield car cover is 1/4 to 1/2 the volume of typical multi-layer, non-woven fabrics.
All of the qualities of the standard WeatherShield, plus intense environmental protection are what the WeatherShield HD (Heavy-Duty) car cover is all about. This fabric was developed for intense sun and environmental protection during long-term storage. A WeatherShield HD car cover delivers exceptional UV resistance, repels water, blocks dust, tree sap, bird droppings and salt air, and is still breathable to allow moisture and heat to escape.
The secret to the protection offerd by a WeatherShield HD car cover is fabric woven by Glen Raven Mills for Covercraft. They use a solution-dyed, UV-resistant polyester thread that’s 40% heavier than the regular WeatherShield. The heavier fabric is treated using the same patented encapsulation process, creating the water-resistant capability. The finished fabric has an amazing capability to block moisture and dirt, while still maintaining the breathability.
Covercraft's Noah car cover fabric offers the best wet weather protection available. It stops water from penetrating, yet it "breathes" to allow trapped moisture to escape. The unique construction process is what gives a Noah car cover its all-weather protection capability. The Noah fabric features exceptional water resistance, dust resistance, UV resistance and breathability to expel moisture and heat beneath the cover. The Noah car cover fabric, make in the USA by Kimberly-Clark, weighs a mere 4.45 ounces per square yard, making it very easy to handle and store. Features:
- Protective Outer Layers – The inner core of the Noah car cover fabric is polypropylene for strength, with a polyethylene wrap for softness. The silver-gray color was selected because of its heat-resistant properties. The fabric is also treated with UV inhibitors, making it safe for extended outdoor use.
- Micro-Porous Middle Layer – The center “barrier layer” is a proprietary stretch-film developed exclusively for Kimberly-Clark. The stretch film is subjected to a chemical process that creates microscopic holes smaller than droplets of water or dust, yet large enough to allow vapors and heat to escape.
- Soft, Paint-Pampering Inner Layer – A woven fabric made from polyethylene and nylon resulting in a high strength-to-weight ratio with a super soft touch.
This exclusive car cover fabric delivers superior protection and years of faithful service in intense sun areas. It effectively stops the slow fade damage caused by the sun’s UV rays. The Sunbrella fabric uses acrylic fibers, which are naturally UV-resistant. Sunbrella is the recognized leader in long-wearing marine fabrics for bimini tops, sail covers and deck enclosures. Due to its ability to provide UV protection with a rich, woven finish, Sunbrella fabrics are also the number one choice for commercial awnings. For car covers, a special finishing process is used to create the softness needed for proper vehicle care. Features:
- Long Lasting Strength – The Sunbrella car cover's acrylic fibers suffer minimal loss of strength from exposure to heat, moisture and UV light.
- Fade-resistant – Colors are a result of pigments which are actually built into the fibers (solution dyed), instead of just dying the finished fabric.
- Water-resistant – Treated for moisture resistance.
- Rot and Mildew Resistant – Acrylic fibers resist mildew growth that occurs in moist environments.
- Color Selection – The Sunbrella car cover is available in Pacific Blue, Sky Blue, Cadet Gray, Jet Black and Toast.